Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I'm back!

So today was an interesting day, and overall, I would say I had a really go0d time. I am so in love with that school, it really is ridiculous. I feel like a lot of the complaints that you see on older interview feedbacks on SDN have really been addressed. Students were extremely enthusiastic. Friendly, realistic. They weren't overly optimistic, but kind and helpful, and they were incredibly involved, and seemed well-rounded. I feel like it's a student body that I would really fit into.

Despite what is going on with the LCME, students were optimistic. They're coming to review again next month, and the consensus seems to be that they will definitely be getting off probation, which is excellent! I had no doubt :-). I think one thing that really sold it for me was how real the students were. They talked about their reactions to the LCME, issues they had with the school (a lot of administrative issues). One student even mentioned how angry she was and how she wanted to transfer at first, but as many administrative issues as they mentioned, it was nothing compared to the glowing praise for faculty, new equipment, and deans. It sounds strange, but there is a real family feel to this school. I really love that.

Speaking of the facilities and new equipment: this school is AMAZING. It is clear to me that only good has come out of the probation. Facilities have been renovated, and like many students said, each new class is only going to benefit. The school just keeps getting better!

My student inteviewer was extremely laid back, it was like talking to an old friend. A lot of laughing, really casual conversation. I asked a lot of questions, but at the same time, she didn't get to ask me a lot of questions, so I'm not sure if that's good. I'm hoping she has a good idea of my interests and how I feel that GWU would be a perfect fit. We got along well, and that can only be good right?

My faculty interviewer was...feisty. Disenchanted, very realistic. It was a change of pace, but that was fine. I was comfortable speaking to him, and outside of "Tell me all about yourself" there was really no other questions asked. The entire conversation was really really conversational. He would say something, and I honestly agreed with a lot of what he said and mentioned. He was very real, and I tried to convey that I was a serious applicant, without roses and lollipops in my eyes, but at the same time one who wanted to do as much as possible, however little it might impact "the world" as it is.... I didn't come out of this interview feeling totally awesome, but I still love the school, and he seemed to be comfortable with me (took off his jacket, rolled up his sleeves, made jokes, we laughed together). At one point, he did say that it seemed to him that me and my interests would really be able to flower at GWU, which I'm hoping was his acknowledgement of a "good fit". In the end, he said that he felt he had a very good idea of who I was, so hopefully.....whatever conclusion he came to was a good one :-).

All well, no point thinking about it now (easier said than done) :-) Here's hoping for some good news come October! Keep praying :-)

Thanks so much for your encouragement, Andy! I barely know you and it's not like we've had a conversation, but it really has been huge for my self-esteem and keeping my chin up :-) I kind of feel like I'd like to have a conversation with you some time (I hope that doesn't sound too creepy) lol.

If you were there Sept. 15, I hope to see you again, whether at GWU or another interview! You were all really great :-)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your successful interview!! By the sound of it, I have all the faith in the world that you will get in :) I sincerely hope that GWU will accept you into your dream school and put a happy ending to your application process.

    You are a role model to me, because you have experienced a lot during the application processes and I have a lot to learn from you. It would be my honor to have the chance to communicate and learn from your through your blogs. Although I probably won't be applying to med schools for another 2 years, but your blogs have prepared me well and most importantly, to never give up (there is always hope)! If you ever want a chat, just leave me a message :D

    ReplyDelete